It's easy to plug in through your car's OBD-II port (all car's manufactured after 2006 have one), just follow the steps below, or see our video here.
/ To plug in your Rider:
- Put your car in park. Handbrake on + ignition off
- Look under your car’s dashboard for the OBD-II connector port + plug in your KOBA Rider. This measures your km driven and powers our app in real-time
- Your OBD-II port is likely in 1 of the 3 locations (see below), but almost always under the steering wheel on the drivers side
Once you've found the OBD-II port, the KOBA Rider works like a plug. Line up the pins and push it into the socket like you would a normal plug in the wall. A light should appear (it could be green, amber or red) which means you're connected!
/ Why did I receive an optional extension cord in the post?
When we send you the KOBA Rider in the mail, we also include an optional extension cable.
For most customers, the KOBA Rider can plug directly into the OBD-II port. For a small number of customers, the OBD-II port may be behind a panel, so the extension cable will come in handy to help them plug it in.
- Assess if you need to use the cable. You will likely need it if the OBD port is behind a panel.
- Open the panel.
- Plug the male end of the cord into the OBD Port.
- Plug the female end the KOBA Rider.
- You should now be able to close the panel.
- Use the velcro strips to attach the cord to the car so it is safely out of the driver's way.
In the future we hope to have an index of Manufacturer makes + models so we know which of our customers need the optional extension cord, and which might not. Feel free to email us to let us know your make + model.
I've connected my Rider, what next?
Download our mobile app and securely access your trips, costs + policy docs almost instantly.